Dino Babers on Scott Shafer’s return to the Carrier Dome

Scott Shafer was the Syracuse head coach from 2013-15 before getting fired.

After a dominating 50-7 season-opening win, Syracuse (1-0) will face Middle Tennessee State (0-1) on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. in the Carrier Dome. MTSU played in a bowl game last year, like every other opponent SU will face from here on out.

The biggest storyline from this game isn’t the quality of the opponent, though. Scott Shafer, the Blue Raiders defensive coordinator, served as SU’s head coach from 2013-2015 and had been on the football staff since 2009. A lot of his former players are leaders on the Orange like quarterback Eric Dungey and linebacker  Zaire Franklin.

Current Syracuse head coach Dino Babers recognizes that it’s a scenario that doesn’t come up too frequently.

“For me, it’s more of a step out of the way moment,” Babers said. “You know, you raise your kids and they’re going to get an opportunity to prove their worth, to prove they can do it without mom and dad.”

Shafer was promoted from defensive coordinator to head coach after Doug Marrone left to become the head coach of the Buffalo Bills. His first season ended well, with Syracuse winning the Texas Bowl, 21-17, over Minnesota. It’s the last bowl game that SU has appeared in.

But his final two seasons were marred by disappointment and injuries. Quarterback Terrel Hunt, who piloted SU to the bowl win, played in just five games in 2014 and didn’t even finish a full quarter in 2015, both seasons being cut short due to injury. Shafer was fired before the last game of the season two years ago.

Shafer’s defensive scheme was predicated on constant pressure. Babers’ offense is known for its speed and spread-out style of play. The two schemes will match up on Saturday.

“I think it’s going to be a heck of a chess match. That’s all,” Babers said. “It’s going to be a great exam. It’s going to be tough. You don’t know what the questions are on it.”

Here are other notes from the press conference:

• Babers said that there was no update on Antwan Cordy. Cordy got hurt early in Friday’s game and was seen on the sidelines with crutches and a boot on his leg.

• Eric Dungey finished 28-of-36 for 328 yards on Friday night. Babers said that “it was the best game he ever played here,” and said that Dungey got one of the highest game grades for a season opener that he’s ever handed out.