Sterling Hofrichter off to hot start for Syracuse

In 2017, only 11 FBS punters have been more successful in terms of yards per punt average than Sterling Hofrichter.

Of those 11, one is a freshmen and the rest are upperclassmen. Hofrichter, a redshirt sophomore with two more years of eligibility remaining after this season, is already one of the best at his position. He has punted 14 times for Syracuse (2-1) and seven have resulted in fair catches. He’s pinned six punts inside the 20-yard line and last week would have had three inside the 10 if it weren’t for a coverage error by his teammates. He averages 46.07 yards per punt.

“Nothing surprises me with what he can do when the ball is on his foot,” SU head coach Dino Babers said. “I think he’s exceptional and he’s going to be kicking for a long time, not only on Saturdays, but on Sundays.”

Hofrichter’s punts have limited opponents to just six total yards. To keep that number low, he tries to punt away from the returner. Hofrichter will look to continue his success against Louisiana State’s DJ Chark, the nation’s eighth-best returner, who averages just under 20 yards per punt return.

This summer Hofrichter spent five days in Whitewater, Wisconsin, at Kohl’s Professional Camp, where kickers, punters and long snappers at all levels of the game come to train. It hosted players from high school and college — invite-only, for “the best of the best,” Hofrichter said. He estimated 150 players attended.

Competition drove camp activity. In the main drill, every punter got two balls to boot one 40 yards with a 4.0-second hang time. Each round the measures increased. Hofrichter maxed out at 48 yards and a 4.8-second hang time.

“I can compete with anyone in the country,” Hofrichter said.

Not every second of his time in Whitewater was spent on the field. After competitions, film room sessions allowed for critique. For a punter, Hofrichter said, the drop point of the ball is where miscues can have a real effect. That was his focus this summer.

Hofrichter said punting has not gotten old. He dabbled in some trick shots to break the monotony of his trade, a tactic he learned from YouTube videos about Baltimore Ravens punter Sam Koch. Using different techniques, such as kicking the ball from a nose-down drop to make it wobble in the air like a knuckleball, can throw off a returner. The results of the camp are speaking for themselves, as he ranks among the best in the country through three games.

“So far, I’m doing good,” Hofrichter said. “There’s still things where I’d like to get better.”