Syracuse safety Antwan Cordy has ‘been out there’ in practice

Todd Michaelek | Contributing Photographer

Antwan Cordy, right, used crutches last Friday when he returned to the field after exiting in the first quarter with an injury to his right leg.

UPDATED: Sept. 10, 2017 at 10:39 p.m.

Syracuse safety Antwan Cordy is back at practice, head coach Dino Babers said Wednesday morning on the Atlantic Coast Conference coaches teleconference. He declined to talk specifics.

Cordy, 5-foot-8, 181-pound redshirt junior, left the season opener against Central Connecticut State in the first quarter, with SU up 14-0. He appeared to have suffered a lower right leg injury on the play. Cordy later returned to the sidelines using crutches, with a brace on his right leg.

The redshirt junior apparently suffered a lower right leg injury after throwing himself into a tackling scrum. The Orange (1-0) lost him early in its 50-7 drubbing of Central Connecticut State (0-1). He did not return to the field in part because SU was in command of the game.

Six-foot-three, 203-pound Toledo graduate transfer Jordan Martin replaced Cordy at safety, performing “just OK,” Babers said. Martin finished with three tackles, all solo.

“Cordy’s one of the best players on our football team,” Babers said. “I think (Martin) came in and did a solid job.”

Cordy tweeted Monday night a few dozen prayer emojis. Also on Monday, Babers declined to give an update on Cordy’s status, citing the Labor Day holiday limiting doctor availability.

As a sophomore, Cordy started all 12 games at strong safety. He ranked second on the Orange with 68 total tackles and first with 12 tackles for loss. As a junior, he switched to free safety, and in the seven full quarters he played, he made eight tackles, broke up a pass and recovered a fumble. He broke his left forearm in the fourth quarter of Week 2 against Louisville and missed the rest of the season.

Last Friday, he left the game in the first quarter. Until Wednesday morning, his status was unclear.

“He’s been out there and we’re hoping for the best for Mr. Cordy,” Babers said.