4 things to know about Crywolf before his Syracuse show

Crywolf made his debut in the music world in 2013, producing and performing his electronic music.

Justin Taylor Phillips, more famously known as Crywolf, is a musician and producer from Los Angeles. He will play at The Westcott Theater Saturday at 9 p.m. as a part of his “This is Negative Space” tour.

Here’s what you need to know about Crywolf before he takes the stage.

He’s no stranger to critical and commercial success

His first full-length album, “Cataclasm,” was released in 2015 and debuted in the top 10 on the Billboard charts. The album was also exclusively premiered by Billboard.com. His three previous extended plays  — “Ghosts,” “Angels” and “DYSPHORIA” — also charted in the top 3 on iTunes, and each has more than 1 million plays on Soundcloud.

His musical style has varied throughout the years

Since his musical debut in 2013, Crywolf has created songs within multiple different genres. He started out with mostly dubstep and electronic dance music, which can be heard in his earlier EPs. The songs in “Ghosts” and “Angels” are more upbeat, similar to the styles of Skrillex and Bassnectar. But his newer material is more experimental and downtempo, while still staying in the range of electronic music. This style is seen in “Cataclasm” and also the EP “Skeletons,” which was released in March.

You may have seen him at a music festival this summer

Music festivals are great ways to see many of your favorite artists. Crywolf was clearly in high demand this year. He made appearances at Middlelands, Shaky Beats, Electric Forest and Firefly Music Festival. He also performed at the South by Southwest Music Festival in March as part of the electronic showcase.

He’s collaborated with other EDM artists

Popular electronic artist Bassnectar not only remixed Crywolf’s song “Rising, Rising,” but also included it on his full-length album “Unlimited,” which was released in 2016. Crywolf also featured EDEN, an electronic music producer well-known in Ireland, on his EP “Dysphoria” with the track “Stomach It.”