Syracuse men’s basketball opponent preview: What to know about No. 2 Kansas

Alexandra Moreo | Photo Editor

The Jayhawks present the Orange's toughest test yet, especially for a roster loaded with young players.

After Monday’s night dramatic, back-and-forth win over Maryland, Syracuse’s (6-0) schedule doesn’t get any easier. On Saturday it gets ready to face No. 2 Kansas (6-0), the first team ranked inside the Top 25 that the Orange has played this year.

Here’s what to know about the Jayhawks:

All-time series: Syracuse leads, 3-2

Last time they played: The Orange came away with an 89-81 victory over the Jayhawks on Nov. 25, 2008. Syracuse was led by Jonny Flynn (25 points) and Eric Devendorf (20).

The Kansas Report: The Jayhawks are loaded. The team shoots 45 percent from the deep and knocks down 11.7 3-pointers per game. KU has also limited opponents to 36 percent shooting from the field, and even held then-No. 7 Kentucky to 61 points.

Kenpom.com loves Kansas as well, as the site ranks the team as the best in the country. KU is fifth adjusted offensive (118) and defensive (89.7) efficiency. The Jayhawks are also third in effective field goal percentage (62.8), per Kenpom.

Defensively, the Jayhawks lock down opponents, allowing them to shoot just 39.9 percent from 2-point range, the ninth-best mark in the country per Kenpom. Kansas also features its main lineup with four guards, which helps generate turnovers. The 13.2 steal percentage is eighth best in the country, per Kenpom.

How Syracuse beats Kansas: A lot would have to go right, but namely, it’ll need to slow down the Kansas deep threat. Syracuse has already shown that it can rebound against teams, and should have a bit of a length advantage. The weakness of the 2-3 zone, though, is that it can sometimes allow for easy looks for 3-point shooters. SU will have to press out further to prevent those looks from.

Kenpom odds: Kenpom gives Syracuse a 17 percent chance of winning this game

Stat to know: 42.7

Syracuse’s opponents have gotten more than 40 percent of the points from the 3-point line this season, the sixth-worst mark in the country, per Kenpom.

Player to watch: Devante’ Graham, guard, No. 4

Graham entered the season on the watch list for National Player of the Year and he’s lived up to that so far. The senior averages 15.8 points per game and a stellar 8.5-to-2.5 assist to turnover ratio. He’s the engine that drives KU’s offense, and the Orange will have to slow him down if it wants to win.