Spring break guide 2018

Local craft breweries are the perfect place to spend spring break

Sarah Allam | Head Illustrator

Check out these craft breweries to see what upstate New York has to offer this spring break.

There are plenty beer-friendly destinations for those looking for something to do over the upcoming spring break. Check out these craft breweries to stay warm and explore the local scene.

Seneca Street Brew Pub

Located just off the Seneca River, Seneca Street Brew Pub sits in the heart of Manlius, about 20 minutes from Syracuse. The family-owned craft brewery is offering events nearly every day during spring break, including “Tuesday Trivia” and “Thirsty Thursday.” Thirsty Thursday features $1 off guest taps and $1 off any glass of wine from 5-9 p.m. The pub’s selection specializes in all-natural and classic beer styles and supports local farmers.

Finger Lakes on Tap

Skaneateles is about a 30-minute drive from the Syracuse University campus and is home to a beer garden and restaurant called Finger Lakes on Tap. This spot offers more than 50 craft beers — all locally brewed — for sampling. The beer garden, which opened in 2015, sits right off Skaneateles Creek and features items like a “Port Wine Cheese Fondue” and “Soft Baked Bavarian Pretzels” on the menu.

WT Brews

WT Brews is a microbrewery located 25 minutes from Syracuse in Baldwinsville. Instead of locally sourcing craft beers, WT Brews makes them itself. The restaurant purchases local ingredients and farms its own hops. While the weather may not allow use of it this spring break, the brewery offers an outdoor patio overlooking the Seneca River.

Local 315 Brewing Company

This brewery’s name sums it up: Local 315 Brewing Company features a variety of homegrown hops in the 315, specifically in Camillus. It’s located right on the farm, offering happy hour on Wednesdays from 4-6 p.m. and Fridays from 3-5 p.m. The brewery’s hops farm started in 2011 and uses its own fresh honey and eggs. Local 315 is located about 20 minutes from campus in Camillus.

Finger Lakes Sausage & Beer

Located about an hour outside Syracuse, Finger Lakes Sausage & Beer is a bar and grill in the heart of Geneva. The weekend spot offers 16 varieties of sausages, homemade burgers and sliders that pair with craft beers, ciders and wine. The restaurant opened in 2016 and underwent a menu overhaul in 2017 when new ownership stepped in. Now, the bar and grill offers a variety of foods outside sausage, including nachos, chicken wings and sandwiches.