Editorial Board

SU’s relationship policy review addresses the power dynamics at play in sexual assault

Kiran Ramsey | Senior Design Editor

Syracuse University's sexual relationships policy review is a positive step toward addressing the unequal power dynamic that exists in faculty-student relationships.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board commends Syracuse University for acknowledging the complicated power dynamics between faculty-student relationships ahead of the release of potential revisions to SU’s sexual relationships policy.

In January, Chancellor Kent Syverud announced his support for the policy change, citing the #MeToo movement as a reason why SU was conducting the review. In a culture where institutional power imbalances make marginalized communities particularly vulnerable to sexual assault and non-consensual relationships, the university must stand with its student body.

This is critical when there are students on campus who simply don’t trust SU to have their best interests in mind when it comes to assault, considering there is a generation of students whose first year at SU was marked by the clumsy handling of the Sexual Assault Advocacy Center closing. The university should host a town hall-style meeting and create an online discussion forum to encourage feedback on the policy.

On Wednesday, the University Senate’s Women’s Concerns committee and the Academic Freedom, Tenure and Professional Ethics committee will present a review of the policy during a Senate meeting. The recommendations made in the review would ban sexual relationships between faculty members and undergraduate students. SU’s current policy only prohibits relationships between faculty members and undergraduate students they’re teaching, advising or supervising.

Sexual misconduct allegations came to light against current and former School of Architecture professors last month, and two internal Title IX complaints were filed against faculty members this academic year. This is why it’s vital that administrators review these policies, critically assess power dynamics on campus and prioritize the welfare of students.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board serves as the voice of the organization and aims to contribute the perspectives of students to discussions that concern Syracuse University and the greater Syracuse community. The editorial board’s stances are determined by a majority of its members. You can read more about the editorial board here. Are you interested in pitching a topic for the editorial board to discuss? Email opinion@dailyorange.com.