Editorial Board

Boeheim, SU can help Jorge Jimenez’s family honor his life

Talia Trackim | Digital Design Director

There’s a tangible way for Jim Boeheim or Syracuse University to help the family of Jorge Jimenez. Fund the rest of a GoFundMe drive organized by Jimenez’s son, Brian Hernandez, to help pay for the costs of Jimenez’s funeral arrangements.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board urges Boeheim and SU to consider this donation. As of about 11:45 p.m. Sunday, just $4,770 is needed before Hernandez’s goal is met.

In a series of statements released following the tragic crash Wednesday night, SU officials expressed condolences and sympathies to Jimenez’s family.

They also said it was horrifying that a member of the local area had been killed.

“I am heartbroken that a member of our community died as the result of last night’s accident,” Boeheim said.

“Like all of you, I am deeply saddened by the news that a member of our Central New York community was tragically killed in an accident last night involving Coach Jim Boeheim,” Chancellor Kent Syverud said.

“On behalf of … Syverud and the entire Syracuse University community, we extend our deepest condolences to all impacted by this tragic accident,” SU Athletics Director John Wildhack said.

It was horrific. They’re right. And here’s how Boeheim, Syverud or Wildhack could further help.

As of late Sunday, there was just under $5,000 remaining before the $15,000 GoFundMe campaign was completed. Hernandez, in an interview last week with The Daily Orange, said the money raised online would go toward Jimenez’s funeral costs.

Jimenez’s family wishes that the funeral be held in Syracuse, where they will have an open-casket wake before cremating Jimenez, Hernandez previously said.

A meaningful contribution by Boeheim or SU to this fund wouldn’t go unnoticed. Especially after a record-breaking crowd of people packed into the Carrier Dome for Syracuse’s matchup with No. 1 Duke this weekend — in some cases community members paid thousands of dollars for just a single ticket Saturday.

Put that money to good use. Help Jimenez’s family honor his life like they want to.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board serves as the voice of the organization and aims to contribute the perspectives of students to discussions that concern Syracuse University and the greater Syracuse community. The editorial board’s stances are determined by a majority of its members. You can read more about the editorial board here. Are you interested in pitching a topic for the editorial board to discuss? Email opinion@dailyorange.com.