Editorial Board

The D.O. Editorial Board calls for campus forum, clarification on assault

Talia Trackim | Digital Design Director

Following an assault along Ackerman Avenue early Saturday morning, students and police have released different statements that have discrepancies about details of the reported incident. The Daily Orange Editorial Board urges Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety and the Syracuse Police Department to prioritize transparent communication with the campus community regarding the assault. And, in DPS’ case, the editorial board urges the department to hold an open dialogue in a public setting about off-campus safety concerns so students and officials can discuss the issues together.

The students’ statement detailing an account of the assault circulated on social media Sunday and Monday. On Monday, several minority and multicultural organizations publicly commented on the incident and criticized officials’ handling of the attack.

Notable is the specific language that DPS and SPD did not acknowledge or comment on in their respective statements. The students’ statement alleges that one of the men assailants Saturday shouted, “What’s up n**ger” before striking a student of color at the house along Ackerman Avenue. The police statements did not note that or explain or detail exact verbal exchanges between the victims and assailants.

The confusion surrounding the details of this assault is unacceptable and warrants immediate action. It’s the responsibility of the police departments involved to acknowledge the concerns of students.

The solidarity of campus organizations following the assault and Student Association’s public condemnation of DPS’ “lack of transparency” clearly shows how campus is reacting to this assault. And beyond that, SA President Ghufran Salih’s efforts to put victims involved in the incident in touch with Department of Public Safety Chief Bobby Maldonado is commendable.

To foster a similar conversation, based off Salih’s idea, SU should hold an open, public forum for all community members to address off-campus safety and the safety of students of color. Regardless of the discrepancies among the multiple statements released since the assault Saturday, the seemingly racially-charged attack needs to be acknowledged by SU in some form, and a conversation must be had about broader concerns raised by students in the wake of the assault.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board serves as the voice of the organization and aims to contribute the perspectives of students to discussions that concern Syracuse University and the greater Syracuse community. The editorial board’s stances are determined by a majority of its members. You can read more about the editorial board here. Are you interested in pitching a topic for the editorial board to discuss? Email opinion@dailyorange.com.