Editorial Board

Acknowledge the importance of college journalism on #SaveStudentNewsrooms day

Talia Trackim | Digital Design Editor

Colleges across the country shape generations of future leaders. They employ hundreds of thousands of local community members. They have multi-million dollar budgets and endowments.

In some cases, as metro and regional newspapers struggle, student news organizations are all that remain to cover these powerful institutions.

On Thursday, the anniversary of #SaveStudentNewsrooms day, acknowledge this. And, if need be, fight to protect student journalists. They hold wealthy trustees accountable. They report on accusations of assault. They reveal abuses of authority.

If it wasn’t for The College Heights Herald in 2017, we wouldn’t know there were “62 employees in violation of their universities’ sexual misconduct and discrimination policies since 2011” at several state schools in Kentucky.

If it wasn’t for reporters at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, we wouldn’t know that nearly 700 school cafeterias in New York City received “at least one critical violation” by the health department there in 2017.

Read your campus publication. Read The Daily Wildcat. Read The Rocky Mountain Collegian. Read The Daily Bruin. Read The Daily Orange.

We’re here to serve you.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board serves as the voice of the organization and aims to contribute the perspectives of students to discussions that concern Syracuse University and the greater Syracuse community. The editorial board’s stances are determined by a majority of its members. You can read more about the editorial board here. Are you interested in pitching a topic for the editorial board to discuss? Email opinion@dailyorange.com.